Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Next New Thing

Hi, blog!

I know it's been too long. I keep saying Self, when this-or-that happens, then I'll post. Ach.

Anyway, I have been pretty DOWN since the shootings in Tucson in January. It seemed to bring out some serious depression about my powerlessness to have a positive effect on anything in the world. The political climate is just so filthy - so much self-righteousness, bigotry, name-calling, etc, etc, etc.

I finally decided to go to a counselor. I've done that a couple of other times in my life when things seemed useless - it has really helped, and the last time it resulted in my attending chiropractic college! Yikes.

I'm more settled - not settled, but more settled. She pointed out to me that this event reminded me of other times in my life when I felt powerless. It sure feels like those times, which at least once was my "dark night of the soul". That began some reflection and eased the sharp parts.

WELL ... last weekend I attended a seminar to begin certification as a Personal Trainer. Yeah!

A couple of months ago I got the idea it would be neat to be a Personal Trainer when I retire, which I hope can be in about two years. The head of training at LA Fitness is a woman who encouraged me - said it would a great idea, given my background professionally and personally. I thought I would start pursuing it in a year or two. About two weeks ago a poster went up at the club about a training in Phoenix that was half-price and included taking a certification exam within 6 months. I agonized about it, consulted with Gayle (the training person above), and just let it percolate for awhile. I couldn't talk myself out of it. Since I wanted to do it and I could save about $300, why not????

So I took the course. This week Jim and I will take a CPR class (required before I can take the exam), and next Saturday, March 26th I will be taking the exam! The instructor encouraged us to do it soon, while the info is fresh in our minds. It'll be good to get it over with!

It seems not a very rational thing to do, since I can't make as much money doing that, but right now it's great to have a big goal in mind and to work toward.

We'll see how it all works out!!!!!!!!!

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment